Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Welcome to the Frugal Jazz Project Blog

n the winter of 1998, I visited my friend Joe Podlesney at Avocet Recording Studio while he was engineering a hip hop recording. I don't recall the his name, but I liked the way the producer handled his crew and thought that producing an album was something I would like to try.
I had been sitting in with a band called Life on Mars that played at The Peoples Pint in Greenfield once a month. I suggested to Matt Kim, the leader of the band that he record the band, but he had no interest. I asked if he would play on a recording if I produced it, and he said yes.
I grabbed many of the members of Life on Mars and asked my friend Richard Mayer to play drums. I then bumped into drummer Marcel Farrington who was my band mate in a group called the Effect of Rhythm which also included Matt and Pete Kim, and had broken up years earlier. I asked Marcel if he would contribute some tracks, including an original from our earlier band and he agreed.
I called Joe Podlesney and booked the studio. We recorded for six hours and Joe and I mixed the tracks for four hours. What came out of that June session was the original Frugal Jazz Project, and more importantly the realization that I enjoyed being a producer.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment